Statistics on Increase in Car Accidents Post Legalization of CannabisAs per statistics released by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Highway Loss Data Institute, there has been a significant increase in traffic accidents in states that have legalized cannabis use. Some of the significant findings in the report are as follows:
- There has been a 6% increase in accidents involving motor vehicles and a 4% increase in ones that resulted in fatalities.
- Drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol and marijuana are 500% more likely to sustain serious injuries in an accident, resulting in hospitalization. The spike in accidents is significant if we consider that drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol have a 300% chance of getting into a serious accident.
Why It Is Illegal to Drive under the Influence in IllinoisWhether you have a license to use marijuana or not, it is illegal to drive under the influence of any drug in Illinois. This is understandable as drivers who are under the effect of the drug can:
- React to hazardous road conditions too late.
- Take longer to brake.
- Take more time than lucid drivers to respond to hazardous road conditions.
- Have difficulty staying in their lanes.