Auto accidents can be caused due to a number of reasons; that can result from the driver’s negligence like texting while driving, to environmental factors like the rain, to other factors such as bald tires, etc. Other reasons might include speeding, running a red light, design defects, tire blowouts, and not being aware of the State’s traffic rules and regulations.
It doesn’t matter what the reason for the auto accident was, it is a traumatic experience. However, staying glued to your seat isn’t the right thing to do, and neither is it safe. Read below to find out everything you should do if you get into an auto accident.
What Should You Do Right After The Accident?
- Check yourself and your fellow passenger for injuries
- Get away from the car so you are safe in case it catches fire or something else happens
- Call 911 for help and tell them exactly what happened and what your injuries are
- Try to stay calm and tend to the bruises till help arrives
- Take pictures of the car to document the damage
- Exchange car and insurance information with the other driver
- Call the insurance company and inform them of the accident
- Seek medical attention and make a statement with the police
- Consult an attorney to know the legalities and what should be done in your current scenario
When Is the Right Time to Consult An Attorney?
If you haven’t been in a car accident before, chances are that you don’t know what the right time is to hire an auto accident lawyer. Instead of learning things the hard way or letting the situation get worse, just see if you are in one of the situations that are mentioned below.
- The settlement offer of the insurance company is too low
- The insurance company has wrongfully denied your claim
- You are seriously or moderately injured probably with a residual disability and have hefty future or current medical bills
- The other party involved in the accident is filing a lawsuit against you
- You are being wrongfully blamed for the accident
- The person injured in the accident is a minor
- You are having trouble proving the extenuating circumstances that can increase the value of your claim
- Circumstances surrounding the car accident are too complex to be solved or proven without a proper investigation
If you are stuck in any of these situations, then it is the right time to get legal advice for the car accident.
For more information or to schedule a free consultation, contact The Law Offices of Robert T. Edens, P.C. today at 847.395.2200 to speak with an experienced attorney on this topic.